Cockroaches in New Zealand
The most common cockroaches in NZ are all introduced species: Gisborne, German and American. NZ also has 15 native cockroaches – mostly found in the garden but they do sometimes wander indoors. Roaches are mostly nocturnal and very adaptable insects. They reproduce quickly, and if left unchecked, can be one of the more difficult pests to eradicate. Without Cockroach extermination infestations can cause food poisoning, and they may aggravate allergies and respiratory conditions like asthma. Varying in color from light brown to black, the species of cockroach has much to do with the location they are likely to be found.
Tips for Controlling Cockroaches
We believe prevention methods and sanitation are the best management for cockroaches. Along with sealing cracks and crevices where pests can enter your home, making sure food preparation areas are clean will help prevent infestation. Likewise, clearing clutter such as newspapers or piles of clothes is also recommended since cockroaches are omnivorous scavengers who will eat just about anything. Because cockroaches reproduce quickly, do-it-yourself treatments are not recommended. Keeping up good communication with your pest control professional is vital so that further spread and incursion is avoided.
How We Treat Cockroaches
- Your technician will assess cockroach activity to identify areas needing treatment.
- This may involve application of a pesticide barrier around the outside of the building.
- A barrier treatment is applied inside the building, along crawl areas such as skirting boards.
- Electrical appliances may be treated with an insecticide powder or granules, while cockroach gel bait may be placed inside areas such as kitchen cupboards.
- Monitor traps will also be installed to check for ongoing activity and ensure cockroach extermination.
The treatment works on residual contact. The insect has to absorb the product by crawling over the product. The product then kills the insect by affecting the nervous system. Powder treatment works the same way, while gel bait is treated as a food source and ingested by the insect.