Fact File - Rodents

Rodents are nocturnal and opportunistic feeders and can transmit diseases and bacteria pathogens, such as salmonella, to humans. Rodents can also cause skin irritations, as well as allergens and breathing difficulties. They are also responsible for causing significant damage to buildings and infrastructure as they chew through pipes and electrical wiring. This creates a significant risk of flood and fires within buildings. In New Zealand we generally encounter Norway Rats (Rattus Norvegicus), Roof Rats (Rattus Rattus), and Pacific Rats, as well as Mice - Mus Musculus. Rats are considered mature in three to four months; whereas mice are mature in six weeks. Rats and mice produce up to ten babies each litter and can have between six to ten litters every year. The reproduction rate is startling if control is not put in place.

How we treat rodents

All species require similar treatment e.g. an external and internal baiting programme with anticoagulant rodenticides using tamper proof bait stations. Anticoagulant rodenticide reduces the blood’s ability to clot, causing an internal haemorrhage. The application of tracking powder can also be used, in addition to various non-chemical options such as the eMitter system, traps and glue boards. Treatments will be applied in areas that rodents often frequent. Alternative treatment options may be used if your technician feels that it is unsafe to enter any area (e.g. a ceiling cavity). Our technicians will not return to your property to remove rodents after they have died. Once a rodent has eaten a lethal dose of bait, they often leave the property in search of water.

Rodenticides are harmful to humans and lethal to dogs - THE ANTIDOTE IS VITAMIN K1.

If you suspect that your dog has eaten bait, immediately take your animal to the nearest vet practice. Inform staff that Vitamin K1 is required urgently. Take anyone who may have consumed bait immediately to the nearest medical centre, or call the National Poisons 24-hour free phone 0800 764 766.